Sunday 28 September 2014

Bedroom Makeover

I moved into a new house about a month ago now and I am STILL painting my new bedroom. Today as I was painting over silicone-filled nail gun holes and touching up the edges of the trim with white paint I was reflecting on how I have been using skills and knowledge that I learned in elementary and high school art to makeover my room. For starters, I learned that when painting you should never use a paint brush that has just been washed with water if you want to achieve bright and bold colours; a water-downed paint brush could change the colour of paint you are using by diluting it. As I have been painting my room I have had to wait about two hours before using another colour of paint (altogether there are three colours in my room: 'sea haze' grey; 'blue lagoon' blue; and white for the trim, door, and window frame). An example of a skill I have been using that I learned in art class is how to hold a paint brush with a steady hand. I am a perfectionist when it comes to many artistic activities and painting a bedroom is no exception. It drives me nuts when paint is on the floor (I have already spent four hours scraping paint off the floor from the mess the previous owners made); when it is on the ceiling (I painted the ceiling before painting the walls...well, my dad helped me by doing it); and when the paint is blotchy and not a solid colour or tone (I do not even know how many coats of paint I have done so far but it is a solid colour). Here are some photographs of me painting the trim! I am planning on writing a 'before' and 'after' blog once I am all finished my bedroom.

Loading the Paintbrush

Touching up the Edges of the Trim

1 comment:

  1. Notice how there is no paint on my hands? Teehee, this is how professionals paint. ;)

    ReplyDelete