Tuesday 25 November 2014

Celebration of Creation

This evening was Celebration of Creation - the Children's Arts Gala we have been waiting for all semester! The paintings that my students created during my three week practicum were on display all evening and two of my students even showed up with their families. I had a fabulous time! I sang songs with my two classmates Byron and Denon (Byron was playing guitar and Denon and I sang), and enjoyed watching a children's choir from a local school sing some popular songs. I talked with many people - some of those people were the media! The event was covered by several media outlets in our city, actually. (You can click here for the 250 news article.) A photographer from the Facebook page 'HYPG' was even there with his wife. He took so many amazing photographs of the entire event. Here is one he took of my display:


I realized throughout this event that celebrating what children create in the Fine Arts is very important. By expressing themselves, children can learn to see themselves without limitations, and that is very liberating for them. When children create art, adults should celebrate it! It is a celebration of creation (I really liked the name that my classmate Caroline suggested for our event...'Celebration of Creation'). I hope to do something like this event in the future for my students. I think I would incorporate visual arts, music, dance, and drama though. There would be performances and skits students would create themselves, as well as dancing to music. I think a Children's Arts Gala is the perfect idea to support children in the Fine Arts.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment