Tuesday 25 November 2014

Reader's Theatre



Today in class we did Reader's Theatre of the story Pete the Cat Saves Christmas by Eric Litwin. Our professor Dr. Willow Brown adapted the story for Reader's Theatre and gave us a script to read. Six of us participated reading the narrator lines and two of us read Pete's lines and Santa's lines. It was a lot of fun doing Reader's Theatre together as a class.

I realized that I could do Reader's Theatre in my own classroom one day. I think it would be an excellent drama activity for young students to experience! Students could each have their own roles and dress up in costumes. There could even be non-diegetic sound in the background to contribute to the mood of the story, and diegetic sound for what is happening in the story. My students could perform this for themselves in class or they could even prepare to perform in front of the entire school or their parents. I think students would feel a lot of pride doing this, and it would be fun for them to do. It would also be another way for them to demonstrate their learning or knowledge and to practice oral speaking and reading skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment