Friday 21 November 2014

French with Music Integration

During my practicum, I taught French with Music integration. I used the song 'Les jours de la semaine' on Youtube. With grade 5 students, I decided I would teach them the song for this purpose: as a mnemonic to help them remember the days of the week because this is a part of their CORE French Curriculum.

The first time I sang the song with the grade 5 students was the first day of my practicum and the very first lesson I taught them. First, we went over the vocabulary, and that in French, the first day of the week is lundi, or Monday. We went over the words over and over, and practiced asking simple questions such as, 'On est quel jour aujourd'hui?' Eventually, my grade 5 students understood the days of the week. Finally, I showed them the lyrics to the song, and then the Youtube video. We practiced 'Les jours de la semaine' twice with the Youtube video, and then I accompanied the class with my ukulele and we sang it a couple more times.

It did not take long for them to remember it off by heart and I would hear them singing the song as they came in from Lunch or Recess, and they would complain about having it stuck in their head. I was sure pleased that the song I had taught them as a mnemonic certainly worked.

To finish off, the real blessing of integrating French with Music came just a couple days ago when I went to go visit the class now that practicum is over. As I came into the classroom they were all so excited to see me. Then, they asked if we could sing the French song together. I was so touched I felt that I almost teared up! Integrating French with Music is one of the best decisions I have made in my pre-service teaching career.

No comments:

Post a Comment