Tuesday 18 November 2014

Visual Arts Class in Practicum

I taught three Art classes during my three-week practicum. Overall, I had a fabulous experience teaching Art, though I had many surprises! Some were wonderful surprises and some were learning experiences. First of all, I did not anticipate how well the fifth grade students would absorb the information on colour value and all of the terms that I taught them. In the first Art class, I taught students about what 'value' meant, as well as terms such as 'tinting' and 'shading.' I also taught them examples of high and low value. I thought that all of the new terms I taught during Art would confuse the students, but they eagerly learned the information and were able to successfully recall it two weeks later. They were able to tell me that navy blue had low value and was the result of shading blue with black, and light blue had high value and was created by tinting blue paint with white. I was pleased! :)

After the lesson on colour value, my class had two more classes to to paint pictures that demonstrated a colour value scale. They had to tint paint to make lighter versions of the colours they chose to create a beautiful background. It was these lessons, when students actually 'did' art that surprised me. Tempera paint was the medium that I chose for the art projects, and I quickly learned how chaotic painting can be with a class of 30 students! Organizing and coordinating all of the paint trays, paintbrushes, and paint is easier said than done. The explosion of activity when 30 students paint in Art surprised me, however, the students seemed engaged and to enjoy themselves. In the end, I think the Art lessons I taught were successful for this very reason.

Here is a picture of the colour value scales my students painted:




No comments:

Post a Comment