Saturday 22 November 2014

Self-Assessment in Art

The same day that I had students write Artist’s Statements I had them self-assess their paintings. I gave them the following rubric:


Objective:
Level 1
Level 2
Level 3
I can paint a value scale.
I have not painted a colour value scale that goes from low value to high value.
I sometimes put colours of a value scale in the wrong order.
I have painted an obvious colour value scale.
I tried to put my best effort into my painting.
I did not put in any effort in my painting.
I put some effort into my painting.
I put as much effort into my painting as I could.

This self-assessment is the first one I have ever given to students. I thought that it seemed easy enough to understand and from what I observed in the classroom as students assessed themselves, it was.


I included effort on the self-assessment rubric because I was thinking of the students who try their best in art but are not the most skilled. I wanted to know how they felt about their work to be able to assess them fairly.

No comments:

Post a Comment